Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Why do wheelchair users get a different treatment in sociaty than others?

Question by Fuhr: Why do wheelchair users get a different treatment in sociaty than others?
for example when you are standing and talking to someone in a wheelchair

any type of wheeled mobility device manual or electric or a wheelchair pushed by someone

try to think of any times you talked to someone in a wheelchair

please only answer truth fully and if you do not need a wheelchair to get around to live youre life

thanks for youre help and understanding

youre help is greatly appericated and kept confidential i will not spread it beyond yahoo answers


Best answer:

Answer by Tall Willow
Because as a species, we're wary of anyone "different." I'm not saying that it's justified, just that it is.

That being said, I try to make sure I talk to people who use wheelchairs the same way I talk to anyone else. If we're having a substantial conversation, and there's somewhere for me to sit, I try to do so. That way I'll be a the same approximate level.

OTOH, it's more likely a passing conversation and/or somewhere there's no seat for me, so I have to look downwards at them. Not that I don't have the same need with a lot of people; I'm tall for a woman, and at or above the average height for a man, so I'm taller than about 3/4's of the population.



Give your answer to this question below!

9 comments:

  1. ♥♥♥You Go Girl♥♥♥May 29, 2013 at 4:00 PM

    I talk to people in wheelchairs the same way I talk to people not in a wheelchair..so I have no idea what you are referring to..=)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because they have different needs. Toilets for the disabled,ramps into shops,buses that lower to accept wheelchair access.
    They don't get different treatment from me while talking,I'm either speaking down to them,or if possible,the same level.
    I used to see a friend regularly in her wheelchair,it was no problem to either of us to converse either standing or seated

    ReplyDelete
  3. compassion and patience maybe this is a silly question i agree with YGG ...i give you two butt kissing thumbs up now YGG please dont punish me YGG HA do i ever get any thumbs up ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I talk to them the same as any able bodied person

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've talked to them about the same as any other person I don't know, which is not very much. What does the wheel chair have to do with anything?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a shame we have come to the point that this kind of question is even necessary. My five year old holds doors for people without ever being taught. I'm glad it's still inert for some.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I talk to people in wheelchairs all the time--I usually will bend over a little so not everyone within hearing distance has to hear our conversation. Most people in wheelchairs have a disability so we give people with disabilities a little more more help (like special parking zones, platforms to get on the buses or buses that can sink down to accommodate the chair), etc. It's only logical, can't expect someone in the wheelchair to be able to stand up and climb on a bus. Most of it is just common sense.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Think about it.

    I've worked with many younger adults who because of an injury or illness must use a wheel chair or scooter. First, they love it if it is going to be a conversation more than a few sentences, if you can sit to be face to face, otherwise, they have to tilt their head up and sometimes crane their neck to speak with someone while looking at them.

    Those in a chair really appreciate considerate persons who will give them space to move about. Most in a wheeled device who are out and about have the same cognitive abilities as the rest, they are restricted by barriers and such and appreciate the consideration of any person. They do not want more respect or considerations than anyone else, but realize they are working from a disadvantaged standpoint.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't noticed wheelchair folks getting different treatment, although the last time I spoke to a person in one i asked her if she needed help reaching an item on a shelf. She thanked me.

    ReplyDelete