Monday, May 13, 2013

How can I find help to find and pay for a handicapped van?

Question by snowmom: How can I find help to find and pay for a handicapped van?
I just found out my 95 Tarus will not be able to carry my new electric wheelchair on the back. I am in no way financially able to buy a new van to be customized to carry my chair with me in it, customizing alone is costly, and been told they don't like to customize vans any older than two years old, I wonder if there are any government grants to help?


Best answer:

Answer by hot_tamale
my friend's church paid for her van. and it was old. maybe just type in handicapassistance.gov or something like that. I have no idea but I sure wish you luck.



Give your answer to this question below!

2 comments:

  1. A handicapped van?!! Never heard of such a thing...would've figured the auto-makers couldn't make money selling handicapped vehicles! Now if they were to sell vehicles for the handicapped, that would be a great invention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, makeuplady is a flogging idiot.
    As for your Van, there are many van custom shops that specialize in strictly handicap vans. Second, many of the big car makers do offer special incentives on a van that is customized for handicap people. Third, what does the Social Security Administration or the Vetreans Administration say about your case? You need to check with each to see if you are quailified, you would be suprised how easy it is to quailify.
    Finally, as a last resort, it is very difficult for me to imagine that a 95 Ford Taurus could not carry an electric scotter or chair. I would suggest that you do some searching for a hitch carrier that might be a little more user friendly, or talk to the people that supplied your chair, there are some electric lifts available that should do the trick.

    ReplyDelete