Thursday, May 2, 2013

Am I allowed to board a plane in my electric wheel chair?

Question by Guru: Am I allowed to board a plane in my electric wheel chair?
I would like to know if American with Disability Act can be use to push air carriers to accommodate people with disabilities. I want to fly on my next vacation overseas, but I am confined to my electric wheel chair. I want to board the plane in it just like I do on buses and trains. Anybody?
I am independent, but just because I have my electric W/C. Without it, I would need people around me for my mobility needs and this makes me uncomfortable.


Best answer:

Answer by Mari Westbrook
Yes, I'm almost certain the airline will do everything they can to accommodate you. If not, then they should be discredited. Do you have some kind of carer?



Add your own answer in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. During take-off and landing you need to put seat belts on. They cannot be connected to any external seating device, therefore you would need to be re-seated from your electric W/C into a proper seat while the wheelchair will need to be stowed elsewhere within the plane, normally not within your direct reach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Americans With Disabilities Act in and of itself does not apply to airlines or airline travel, so it cannot be used to force an airline to accommodate you under its provisions. There are, however, provisions in the federal Air Carrier Access Act that prohibit discrimination towards air travelers on the basis of disability. Among the provisions of the Act, an airline may not deny travel to a passenger based on disability, nor may they require advance notice for travel except when certain physical accommodations must be made for the passenger.

    For persons who are confined to a wheelchair, however, the typical boarding process is not the same as those on a bus or train, simply because there is not the available space to board a wheelchair in a manner similar to that which you'd see on a bus or train. Typically, the passenger is placed into a special chair that fits in the aisle upon boarding, and then is taken to their seat. (All passengers on a plane must occupy a seat -- aisle seats often have outer armrests that raise to make it easier for disabled passengers to get in and out of.) This means that you would need to be reliant on other persons for the duration of that flight for your mobility -- however, airlines are generally good at handling these issues in my observation.

    ReplyDelete