Sunday, May 26, 2013

I am Disabled and need a new Wheelchair I do not have Medicare because I am still working and my HMO will not?

Question by cd0998473: I am Disabled and need a new Wheelchair I do not have Medicare because I am still working and my HMO will not?
I am Disabled and need a new Wheelchair I do not have Medicare because I am still working and my HMO will not pay for an electric Wheelchair I have a Drive medical EC plus power chair now that I paid for out of my pocket, and I need a new one I was wondering who could help me with the cost of a new one


Best answer:

Answer by JMITW
contact vocational rehab...they used to pay for mobility equipment needed for work

if your hmo would not pay for a power chair-it is doubtful medicare or medicaid would pay either...too get one you have to be unable to walk around the house without assistance...so if you have a studio apartment and can manage walking around in that where there is something to hold onto within reach at least every few feet...they don't think you need a power chair to walk around a store or a work place which is much larger..

funny thing is--for some people, they will pay a lot more for a custom manual chair than for an off the shelf power chair...

for example--1 person got a $ 4000 manual wheelchair.....but purchased a power chair on his own worth about $ 2000..the insurance would not pay for the powerchair instead of the manual chair..

medicare does pay for wheelchairs if you meet the requirements
http://www.medicare.gov/Publications/Pubs/pdf/11045.pdf


http://www.medicare.gov/Publications/Pubs/pdf/11046.pdf



Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!

4 comments:

  1. Give your county welfare office a call. They don't cover the cost but perhaps they would know who to refer you to. Another place to call would be a place which sells the wheelchair you need. They would certainly know if their customers have received financial help from any agency or organization. Medicare doesn't cover the cost of buying a wheelchair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need a doctor's prescription in order for your insurance to cover a power wheelchair. If your doctor feels you dont need one, that is his decision. Maybe the store where you purchased your old one will give you a discount on a used chair. Call any foundation for whatever your disability is for and ask if they know where you can get one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I first needed a power chair I called all the medical supply places and got a very gently used one for $ 400. It lasted me years, until last year I got a great deal online for $ 2000 for a real high end chair that was no longer going to be made. I love that one.

    I had a PPO the first time and while they covered DME at 80% they refused my chair bc I walk in my house. Same with Medicare this time.

    I'll not be locked in my house bc insurance refuses to help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It depends on the insurance, but most will cover a portion to you try harder. Also you need a company that is in network with your insurance. Also, they might have used ones they can sell you.

    ReplyDelete