Wednesday, June 12, 2013

is there any way I can make a mobile robot out of a large cage?

Question by teeteringtimetraveller: is there any way I can make a mobile robot out of a large cage?
assuming that I am working with one of the cages or aviaries provided in the links down below, is it possible to add locomotion to these cages by incorporating wheels, motor drives, casters, etc? Is it also possible to have these cages run autonomously like a motorized or electric wheelchair? I know the horizontal center of balance & vertical center of gravity will be important variables to consider as well as the weight. If this project isn't feasible, then is there a way I can use these cages as an enclosure for my go-kart by attaching or welding them on the go-kart? I assume that would be easier?

http://www.weld-mesh.com/aviary.php
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/optionskennels-store_2228_29568986


Best answer:

Answer by mike
Yes.



Add your own answer in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure why you want to do this, but there is no reason why you should not build a running chassis with wheels, motor(s) and control gear first, and then attach your favoured aviary/kennel to it. You will, of course, have taken care that it does not tip over easily.
    As for attaching a cage to a go-kart, there is the fairly obvious safety question: if it is involved in a smash, how do you get extricated quickly?

    ReplyDelete